- 1kg loin of fallow venison denuded
- 1 large fennel bulb chopped into long chunks
- 2 large red onions diced
- 700 gm Swiss brown mushrooms
- 500 pls beef stock
- 25 gm fenugreek
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch finely chopped parsley
- 10 gm salt
- 10 gm ground white pepper
- To make the ragout fry onions, garlic and fenugreek until soft. Add mushrooms and tomatoes, once soft add the beef stock and turned down to simmer.
- Take care not to reduce the sauce in the ragout too much as it’s the same sauce used to dress the venison loin.
- Portion the completely denuded venison loin into 4 equal parts.
- To roast the venison bring a frypan to high heat with a moderate amount of oil, season the loin with salt and pepper and colour on one side then turn over and place in the oven at 220ºC for 10-15 minutes or until cooked.
To serve place a large spoon of the ragout on the plate and slice the venison thinly and place on top. Take a small amount of the sauce and pour over the dish.